Aaron Knight needs no introduction to all things steep. UTA 951, Buffalo Stampede KOM, and a huge list of races with “Mount” in the name, Aaron has conquered. Let’s find out a little bit about what makes Aaron climb.
You’re a very accomplished runner. What got you into trail running?
“I grew up near some trails and l always ran everywhere as a kid. Then wherever I have lived since I have looked to run trails to help stay fit and relax the mind.”
Your runs range anything from hard fast hills to ultras. Do you have a preference? “Yeah I enjoy racing everything from UTA951 in 9 mins to Ultras. I enjoy the challenge of training for different style courses and duration of races. But new trails are the best trails!”
You’re a very busy man. How do you fit training in with work, life and racing? “I’m Dad to Soleil (13) & Magnus (10) and they are my priority. I also work & run for La Sportiva and that involves lots of travel and office time. But I still find time to get out. But not as much as 13 years ago….”
I’m excited to return to Brisbane for the first time in years. I went to University in Brisbane and loved living & running there. Thanks to BTU for giving me the opportunity to return!
Aaron has run all around the world. Can you tell us about your favourite race? “My favourite race is my local mountain race the Mount Bogong Conquestathon. It’s a 20km mountain running race up the highest mountain in Victoria (1500m climb in 8k) and back down again. It’s a beautiful course, always a tough race and has a great event vibe.”
5. Do you follow a particular nutrition plan? and what would be the differences in this when racing long versus short distances? “I love to be healthy and good food is a big part of that! For moral reasons I have also been Vegan for 3 years and Vegetarian before that. It works for me. I’m also a Clifbar athlete and they are my before, during & after race nutrition no matter the race. (As well as bananas, Coke & Ginger Beer!)”
6. Do you have a certain recovery routine? “I stretch after every run and have some quality food if I’ve trained hard. After racing I like to eat Ginger biscuits and drink Ginger Beer until I feel like eating a meal.”
7. What is your favourite running kit? I’m very lucky to be sponsored by companies that cover all my running needs:
- La Sportiva Australia
- Clifbar Australia
- Bogong Equipment
- Squirrel’s Nut Butter
- SAXX Underwear
What are your plans for the next 12 months?
- May – Ultra Trail Australia
- June – Trilhos Dos Abutres in Portugal
- July – Brisbane Trail Ultra
Then Surf coast Century, Hounslow, Hume & Hovell & Bright 4 Peaks.
“I’m excited to return to Brisbane for the first time in years. I went to University in Brisbane and loved living & running there. Thanks to BTU for giving me the opportunity to return!”
Thank you Aaron for taking the time to chat to us. We’re very excited to have you join our ever growing strong line-up of running legends in Australia and we look forward to see you show us how the BTU 30km should be run!
Thanks again from the Team at the Brisbane Trail Ultra – Shona, Cora & David
cover photo credit: Brett Hemmings